Summer is a great time to have fun outdoors and to take advantage of the sunshine. However, it’s important to be mindful of your surroundings. June is National Safety Month, so we gathered some tips to help enjoy playing outside safely.
- Inspect equipment before using
- Check for splintered wood, broken pieces, sharp edges.
- Note possible tripping hazards, hot slides, etc.
- Make sure children are playing on equipment geared towards their ages.
- Be prepared
- Dress children appropriately. No loose strings, bring hats for sunny/windy days, wear closed toed shoes with laces tied, and minimal accessories. You don’t want anything getting caught in playground/park structures.
- Apply sunscreen and bug spray as needed.
- Have snacks, water, wipes, and hand sanitizer available.
- Stay aware
- Be alert to kids walking behind swings and standing at the bottom of slides.
- Take turns with equipment to avoid crowding.
- Discourage rough play.
While enjoying playtime, please be cautious of safety! Falls are the most common playground accident, so be sure to keep an eye on children while they’re playing.