Summer is a great time to have fun outdoors and to take advantage of the sunshine. However, it’s necessary to take some precautions when out in the summer heat. June is National Safety Month, so we gathered some tips for you to enjoy playing safely.
- Take Precautions
- Wear broad spectrum sunscreen with SPF of at least 15.
- Avoid sun during the hottest part of the day, 10 am-4 pm.
- Reapply sunscreen often- especially after swimming or sweating.
- Use Accessories
- Have an umbrella to shade the sun.
- Wear a hat and/or sunglasses.
- Use cooling towels if overheated.
- Be aware
- Check skin often.
- Cover up skin or find shade if getting red.
- Stay hydrated with water.
- Know and follow the rules of pool, beach or splash pad.
- Never take your eyes off of children in the water.
- Use caution with inflatables as they can overturn.
- Discourage running on slick surfaces.
While enjoying playtime, please be cautious of safety! Drowning is second only to car accidents when it comes to child deaths. It can happen in seconds and is usually silent so constant attention/supervision is necessary. Consider enrolling your child in swim lessons when appropriate- Charlotte has several options for children and infants.