If 2020 taught us anything, it’s that things don’t always go according to plan. But, it’s still important to have goals and to work to achieve them. Maybe in 2021 you’d like to lose weight, pay off debt, start a business, or write a book. Here are some tips on goal setting. And remember, it’s okay to pivot as needed.
- Set a vision for 2021. How do you want to feel? What do you want to do?
- Spend time reflecting on 2020. What worked? What didn’t work?
- Work backwards with your vision as a guide. Set goals for the year- plans for the quarter, and tasks for the month/week.
- Check your resources- what do you need to accomplish your goals? How can you tap your network? What books can you read? What classes can you take? Share your goals with others to help you stay on track.
- Throughout the year, ask yourself- “does what I’m doing align with my goal and vision.” Where do adjustments need to be made?
Habits are the things we do everyday that affect our lives. When working towards goals, it’s important to have good habits. Consistency is key, though it’s important to have flexibility. Research has shown that doing something regularly for 30 days makes it a habit.
- Track your progress. Keep a habit tracker. Write down the things you want to do daily and cross them off each day as you go.
- Maintain AM and PM routines. Check your to do list, goal plan, habit tracker, and gratitude journal daily to stay on track.
- Consider an accountability partner. Share habit trackers weekly and discuss your successes and set backs of the week.
- Reward yourself. When you achieve habit or goal milestones- acknowledge it. Just make sure the treat aligns with your overall goal.
We encourage you to set yourself up for the best 2021 you can have. While the world still looks different, it may for some time still. Life is still moving along- even if we feel stuck. Best of luck with your resolutions. Happy New Year!